Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2-3
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1 cup mango puree ( from 4 medium sized sweet mangoes) * see notes
- 1/2 cup caster sugar (adjust according to the sweetness of the mangoes)
- 1/4 cup almonds, blanched and halved * see notes
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 4-5 cardamoms powdered
- A fat pinch of saffron (crushed or soaked in 1 tablespoon warm milk for 20mins)
1. Place the milk in a heavy based pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the almonds and cardamoms.
2. Cook the mixture over a low heat till it thickens, stirring every now and then. Do not cover the pan and take care to see that the milk doesn’t stick to the pan and burn. This will take about 10-12 mins so have patience.
3. When the mixture has thickened (has reduced in volume and begins to coat the back of the ladle) add the sugar and stir until it dissolves completely.
4. Add the powdered/soakes saffron, mix and remove the kheer from the heat.
5. Let the mixture cool down completely before stirring in the mango pulp/puree.
6. Garnish with slivered pistachios and saffron strands and serve.
1. If you like to find some pieces of mango in the kheer don’t puree/mash it completely.
2. Check the sweetness of the mangoes and use the required amount of sugar. Add it in parts and do a taste check and add more only if required. Also, note that any food when piping hot will not let your taste buds experience the actual flavour of the dish so if you taste the kheer when it is extremely hot it may seem to be lacking in sweetness and you may end up adding some more sugar which may make the kheer extremely sweet.
3. Instead of almonds you may use cashew nuts too. To blanch the almonds just place them in a heat proof bowl and enough pour boiling water to cover them and close the bowl with a lid. After 15 mins, discard the water and gently press them, the skins will come off easily.
4. Do not be tempted to add the mango puree to the kheer when it is still hot as the whole mixture may curdle. For best results add the mango to the chilled kheer just before serving