2 cups rice (washed and soaked for 3 hours)
- 1 coconut (to remove milk)
- 1 cup Jaggery (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- One pinch salt
- Ghee to grease the pan
- Remove Coconut milk. Try to get about 4 cups of coconut milk(thick and thin).Keep this aside.
- Grease a 10 inch plate with ghee and keep aside.
- Grind rice to a fine paste using water, mix the ground rice and coconut milk,add jaggery. The batter must be almost water like consistency (like neer dosa batter).You can add more water if the batter is thick.
- Place this vessel on medium low flame.Its important to stir the batter non stop at least in the beginning. This will avoid forming of lumps (which is a complete no no for Manni)
- The batter will thicken eventually, but you have to keep stirring for almost 45 minutes to 1 hour, or the pudding won’t set. There are ways to know if the pudding is done: – Wet your hands and touch the pudding, if it does not stick to your hands then the pudding is done. One more tip is to drop 1 tsp of batter into little water in a plate, if the pudding holds shape then its done, if it disintegrates you will have to stir longer.
- Somewhere around 30 minutes of stirring ,add cardamom powder.
- Once the pudding is done pour it on to the greased plate and spread it evenly.Pour 2 tbsp ghee on top of the pudding and spread it around.
- Let the pudding cool in room temperature, refrigerate till the pudding sets.
- Cut to diamond shape, you can sprinkle some roasted cashew nuts on top which is optionally.
Courtesy : cheriesstolenrecipes