Classic Mangalorean dish
- 3 cups Gujje/ Raw jackfruit (chopped)
- 1 cup Small Black Chickpea
- 1 onion ,chopped
- salt to taste
- 5 dry red chillies (roasted) 3 long red chillies(byadigi) and and 2 small(guntur)
- 3 tsp coriander seeds (roasted)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (roasted)
- 3 garlic (with skin)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 tsp jaggery (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 3 garlic (crrushed)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilly
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight.Cook them with little salt and enough water to cover the chickpeas in pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles (or depending how much whistles your cooker will take to cook them)
- Toss in the chopped raw jackfruit into the cooker along with the cooked black chickpeas, add one chopped onion.Add very little water if required,incase it looks dry.Cover and cook for 2 whistles.
- Place roasted red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garlic and jaggery in a small mixir jar and grind to fine powder. Add coconut and grind for less that 10 seconds (coconut should be coarse). Keep aside.
- Place a pan on medium heat , add oil, when oil is hot add mustard seeds, when it starts popping add urad dal and fry till it turns golden brown. Add crushed garlic, curry leaves and red chilly and stir for few seconds.
- Now add the ground coconut masala and fry for a minute or two to remove raw smell.
- Add cooked Chickpeas and raw jackfruit and mix well. adjust salt. If its too dry sprinkle little water.Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Take off the flame.
- Serve with rice and Kodel
Reference :Cheries receipe