Chicken Ghee Roast
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Serves: 5
- Chicken – 1 kg, bite sized pieces, washed
- Curd – 1/2 cup, thick yogurt
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery – 2 tsps (or sugar)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Ghee – 6 tbsps
- Dry red chilies – 7 to 8, large (spicy variety)
- Dry red chilies – 3 (small variety)
- Black peppercorns – 7-8
- Cloves – 3
- Fenugreek seeds – pinch
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic flakes – 7-8
- Tamarind paste – 1 1/2 tbsps
- Marinate chicken in curd, turmeric powder, lemon juice and half a tsp of salt for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Dry roast the red chilies on low flame for 2 mts. Do not burn them. Remove from fire and keep aside. In the same pan, add a tsp of ghee and roast, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns on low flame for 3 minutes. Remove from fire and cool.
- Grind the roasted red chilies and spices along with garlic and tamarind to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsps ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel, place the marinated pieces along with the marinade and cook for 20-22 mts or till its three foiurth cooked.
- Remove the sauteed chicken pieces and keep aside. Remove the remaining liquid into another bowl.
- In the same vessel, add the remaining ghee, and add the ground paste. Saute on low to medium flame for 8-9 mts to till the ghee separates.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Add the left over liquid (while cooking chicken) and jaggery and cook on medium flame for 4 mts. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Reduce flame, place lid and cook till the chicken is cooked and you have a thick coating of the masala to the chicken pieces. This is not a curry, its a roast dish.
- Remove lid, roast the chicken for 2-3 mts. Turn off flame, remove onto a serving bowl.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve with ghee rice, any flavored rice of your choice or white rice.
By : Sailu