I would never eat meen gassi as a kid. I would think we should rather fry the fish than make a curry out of it..That could probably be because I simply favored fish fry over the curry. My tastes have drastically changed over the years and this gassi has become one of my favorite tummy ticklers.
- 10 long red chillies (roasted)
- 5 small red chillies (roasted)
- 2 tsp corainder seeds(roasted)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (roasted)
- 1 tsp black pepper (roasted)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (roasted)
- 5 green chillies
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- 1/4 tsp ajwain (optional)
- 6 to 7 cloves garlic (with skin)
- 1 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 15 curry leaves
- 1 big lemon size tamarind
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 kg mackerel fish
1. Put all the above ingredients (except fish, curry leaves and salt), into the mixer jar ,add water and grind ,the paste should not be very fine.
2. Cut mackerel fish to 2 pieces, if its a big fish cut to 3 pieces.
3.Add curry leaves and salt on the fish.
4.Now pour the ground masala paste on the fish.Add 3 cups of water (less water if you want a thicker gravy)
7 to 8 cloves of garlic with skin
2 tbsp oil